Taste of Memories
Taste of Memories is a commemoration project of fallen IDF soldiers and victims of terrorism. Participants will cook food that the fallen one loved the most and learn about their story to keep their legacy alive. This allows participants to engage and learn about Israeli culture as well as try new foods.
Every person knows the sense of loss and longing and we all know of a recipe or meaningful moment that reminds us of someone dear.
Food is the simplest connection to emotion and identification as the flavors and smells embody a whole world of memories and culture.
The project was established in 2016 by an Israeli Shlicha in Minnesota. It meant to engage the world Jewish communities with the Israeli bereaved family.
- The cooking session will be hosted by participants.
- The session/meeting can be held as a whole meal or as a single dish.
- The session will be guided by Meitav, Community Shlicha.
- During the session the participants cook a favorite dish of one of the fallen IDF’s soldiers or victims of terrorism that will never return home to eat it. We meet, cook, share pictures, stories, videos and talk about the person behind the dish and his family.
- The meeting includes 4 parts: opening, cooking the dish, processing and the meal.
Each host will...
- Provide a space for cooking and eating.
- Create a group of participates (minimum of 4 people).
- Choose the type of session: long or short
- Decide what kind of food to cook from the list of recipes. The list of recipes can be found at https://www.matkonzikaron.co.il/he/87 (page translation may be needed0
- Purchase the ingredients.
- Cook the recipe step by step (as indicated in the recipe) in order to experience the identical flavors as the original dish.
- At the end, share photos and experiences with the fallen one's family.
- Feel free to cook a dish for a family dinner or a friend's gathering and share the story!
Questions or interested in participating? Contact Meitav at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 259-9245.